Total Hits

Monday, November 15, 2010

Understanding Macbeth: Act 2, Scene 3

In Act 2 Scene 3 we encounter alot of future foreshadowing as well as strange irony of things to come. In this scene, we begin to see Macbeth's actions give birth to later future consequences, as well as a hint of how everything will end. Portrayed by references of "the gate" from which Macduff; Macbeth's future killer arrives in, to the Porter, making references of the devil, as to signify the sins within Macbeth's walls and the beginning of a new change.

The 2 EQs we chose to do were "How power corrupts" and "How far one was willing to go to get what he/she desires the most."

Within this scene
we see by his deeds from the latter scenes how he has changed dramatically from neutrality to evil

"If a man were porter of hell-gate, he should have old turning the key" -Porter

(A reference to Macbeth's newly found-corruption)


We also see within this scene how far Macbeth would go to get what he desires the most, even as far as to kill King Duncan's chamberlains to get rid of further evidence, and lie about it

"O, yet I do repent me of my fury, that I did kill them." - Macbeth

This scene clearly lays out the now darker tone within the plays' plot and the turning point of Macbeth's story, The beginning of his corruption and tragedy.

1 comment:

  1. I liek that you are bringing in quotes to back up waht you are saying. It is true the hells gate is ironic. I feel you have misunderstood it slightly. Please catch me in class so I can expplain its signifiacance and its importance.

    ReplyDelete